Friday, January 22, 2021
We are one week away from our Rocket Spectacular Virtual Benefit Auction! At this time, we would like to sincerely thank this year’s Rocket Spectacular virtual event sponsors. We are so grateful for their generosity and support of Assumption High School:
- DIAMOND Sponsors: Brown-Forman, Clark & Riggs Printing, The Ott Family Foundation, Stock Yards Bank, Sullivan-Cozart
- RUBY Sponsors: Corvus Capital, LLC,Ford Law Office, JRA Architects, MAC Construction, Norton Healthcare, Process Machinery, Inc., Republic Bank, Sisters of Mercy-South Central Community
- EMERALD Sponsors: Scott and KimDiamond, Hanke Family, Ratterman & Sons Funeral Home
COVID NUMBERS: As we did last semester, Assumption will report our number of COVID positive cases and quarantines for any individuals associated with our school on a weekly basis in the Rocket Report. As of yesterday, Assumption’s COVID-19 numbers for this week are: (1/15, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21)
- 4 new positive COVID-19 cases (3 students/1 staff)
- 13 new quarantine cases (12 related to an off campus athletic practice)
- 9 total positive COVID-19 cases as reported to our local department of health as of January 5, the start of this semester (8 students and 1 staff)
It’s important to note that there have been no known transmissions of COVID here at AHS. As a reminder to our parents, Assumption is required to report positive cases and quarantines of all individuals associated with our school to the State of Kentucky, our local health department as well as the Archdiocese of Louisville.
Currently, the State of Kentucky discourages all out-of-state leisure travel until further notice. If an individual does engage in out-of-state leisure travel, they are urged to voluntarily self-quarantine for 14 days when they return to Kentucky. While the CDC offers options for a shorter quarantine period, our local department of health still recommends a 14-day period of self- quarantine for out of state leisure travel. The current State of Kentucky’s travel advisory can be found here. In line with the State’s travel advisory, we strongly discourage out of state leisure travel; however, we are not mandating quarantining after out of state leisure travel but urge parents to have their daughters voluntarily self-quarantine. We are asking that parents notify our attendance clerk, Gail King at 271-2599, in the event their daughter self-quarantines after leisure travel. Parents who have questions regarding the need to quarantine after out-of-state travel may contact our school nurse, Laura Burnam at 271-2507 for assistance. In addition, if you have any questions regarding unexcused/excused absences or make-up work, please reach out to your daughter’s counselor who can assist in answering any questions regarding our policies.
As with all activities that take place outside of our school, we trust our parents and students to make the right decisions and follow all COVID health and safety protocols such as frequent hand washing, wearing a mask, and practicing social distancing. In this way, we can reduce the risk of bringing COVID into our building and spreading it to our school community.
COVID VACCINE UPDATE: Assumption has received word from the Archdiocese of Louisville that as school employees, we are in the 1b priority group for receiving the COVID vaccine. The latest update from ArchLou is that our faculty, staff, and coaches will begin receiving the first dose of the vaccine the week of February 8th. This is certainly welcome news for our entire school community as this new semester gets underway.
As always, thank you for your support and commitment to the safety of our entire community.
- DAILY SCHEDULE: Next week, we resume our regular hybrid schedule:
- Monday, January 25 – Day 1: In-Person – Maroon Cohort, Virtual at Home – Blue Cohort
- Tuesday, January 26 – Day 2: In-Person – Maroon Cohort, Virtual at Home – Blue Cohort
- Wednesday, January 27 – LEAD & Learn Wednesday: All Cohorts Digital at Home
- Thursday, January 28 – Day 3: In-Person – Blue Cohort, Virtual at Home – Maroon Cohort
- Friday, January 29 – Day 4: In-Person – Blue Cohort, Virtual at Home – Maroon Cohort
- ROCKET SPECTACULAR VIRTUAL BENEFIT AUCTION – Saturday, January 30: Everyone is invited to participate in our VIRTUAL event this year on Saturday, January 30, at 7:30 p.m. Please mark your calendar and plan to join us for our program, silent auction, and more! We will email more details in the coming days. Rocket Raffle tickets are still available, and the $20,000 winner will be drawn the night of the event. We encourage students to try to sell as many online as possible. https://one.bidpal.net/assumptionrocketspectacular. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
- PARENT PRAYER: Parent Prayer takes place every Tuesday morning from 8:30-9:00 a.m. via Zoom by using this link and ID/Password: Join Zoom Meeting: https://us04web.zoom.us/j/75488139027?pwd=UDQrM3BDWlZRbElEbWdUL1FQRE4wZz09, Meeting ID: 754 8813 9027, passcode: prayer. All are invited!
- CATHOLIC SCHOOLS WEEK: The week of February 1-5 is a national celebration of Catholic Schools Week. Assumption will recognize this week with a focus on the role of women’s education globally in the fight against poverty. Students will be learning about the reasons 131 million girls are not in school throughout the world. We will also have two dress-down days that week to support the Assumption school in Cambodia which was built as a way of addressing the inequity in access to education there by alumnae in the AHS Class of 2010. For a minimum of a $3 donation, students can “dress down” instead of wearing their uniform on February 2 (maroon cohort) or February 5 (blue cohort). If you would like to donate to this great cause, please either send in your donation with your students, mail a check made out to AHS with “Attention: Campus Ministry” on the envelope, or donate digitally via Venmo Venmo @AssumptionHighSchool and be sure to put “Campus Ministry” in the comment section.
2020 YEARBOOK DISTRIBUTION: Students will receive their 2020 yearbooks next week. The Maroon Cohort will receive their books as they enter the building the morning of Tuesday January 26, and the Blue Cohort will receive their books as they enter the building on Friday January 29. If a student is absent from school the morning she is to receive her yearbook, she will be able to get her book during lunch February 2 (Maroon Cohort) or February 5 (Blue Cohort). If she is unable to get her book at that time, she will be able to pick up her book from the Media Center when she arrives back to school after February 5. Students from the Pink Cohort will be able to pick up their yearbooks from school Wednesday January 27 (A Lead and Learn Day) at the CAC doors from 2:00-4:00 p.m. If a student is not able to come during this time, she can come to the Tyler Lane doors from 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.during the week beginning February 1. The parent or student will need to ring the bell and tell the office they are here to pick up their yearbook, and it will be brought to them. Please reach out to KATIE CULVER if you have any questions.
2020-2021 REGISTRATION – Save the dates!
- CURRENT FRESHMAN PARENT REGISTRATION INFORMATION NIGHT: Attention, all freshman parents–on Wednesday, February 3, at 6:30 p.m. Dean of Studies Theresa Schuhmann will provide information about the registration and course selection process for all freshman parents via a Zoom meeting. We highly recommend that you take advantage of this important informational session in order to assist your daughters in planning their course of study for their sophomore year.
- 2021-2022 COURSE SELECTIONS: Last week during class meetings, freshmen, sophomores, and juniors received guidance on beginning the course selection process for the 2021-2022 school year. Please ask them some of what they learned about the importance of taking full advantage of time and resources over the next month to make thoughtful and effective decisions to help them achieve their academic goals. As we move into February, we will be communicating information about specific dates and deadlines related to the registration process so that you can support your daughter through this decision-making process.
- FINANCIAL AID FORM: The financial aid link for 2021-2022 has been added to the school’s website. The due date is February 28 and the form must be submitted online to FACTS Grant and Aid Assessment. FINANCIAL AID APPLICATION LINK. As a reminder, you are required to file every year to receive assistance.
LEAD & LEARN WEDNESDAY UPDATE: During our LEAD & Learn Wednesday next week, students will begin the day in homeroom where their student leaders will lead an activity to provide some intentional time for homerooms to reconnect. Students will also have the time to learn about and complete the CDC’s youth risk behavior survey. The guidance department administers this anonymous survey every two years and uses its results to target guidance and prevention lessons that are implemented throughout the school year. The day will continue with class meetings with underclasswomen learning about electives that they may consider when they are selecting classes for the 2021-2022 school year while seniors will focus on information management skills. Before going to lunch, all students will gather for a short Rocket Raffle Results Rally via Zoom. Student leaders will meet with homeroom teachers for planning for second semester and after lunch, ACTS service provided by our sophomores will continue.
NATIONAL HONOR SOCIETY (NHS) APPLICATIONS: All sophomores and juniors received an email on Tuesday, January 19, that included a link to an on-demand informational video about the NHS application process. Students who have a 3.7 unweighted, cumulative GPA are eligible for consideration. Interested applicants must watch the video and complete an exit form to receive an application. The video addresses how to apply and what can and cannot be considered for the application. Two different optional virtual Q&A sessions will be offered. The dates are January 21 from 3:30 – 4:00 p.m. and January 26 from 3:30 – 4:00 p.m. New members will be announced in late March. Students already inducted and granted membership in NHS do NOT need to go through this process again.Applications are due by 3:10 p.m. on Thursday, February 18. NO APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER THIS DEADLINE! Questions about applying to NHS can be directed to NHS advisers KELLY KIRWAN or KIM HABICH.
MISSION WEEK – February 22-25: This year’s Mission Week will put an innovative spin on this traditional pillar of the Assumption experience through a mixture of virtual and on-campus opportunities. Our theme this year is “Brave New World,” and the speakers and activities throughout the week are designed to prepare students to courageously face the challenges of today and tomorrow with courage. We will begin the week with not one but two exciting speakers scheduled for Monday:
- Victoria Russell began a new role this year as the first Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer with Beam Suntory after 14 years with Papa John’s. In 2019, she was named a “Woman Making a Difference” by Louisville Business First and selected as one of Louisville’s Forty Under 40. Other accomplishments include receiving the University of Kentucky 2019 Lyman T. Johnson Torch of Excellence Award and being named of one of the Adweek & Adcolor 2020 Champions of Diversity & Inclusion. Victoria was also honored as a Daughter of Greatness by the Muhammad Ali Center and featured as Today’s Woman 2020 Most Admired Woman in the Corporate Category.
- Kevin Pearce is a champion snowboarder and traumatic brain injury survivor. Once an Olympic gold hopeful, he suffered a terrible accident that shattered his body and his dreams. After six days in a coma, he began the difficult journey to work not only on teaching his brain to walk, talk, and even chew again but also to create a new dream and path forward for himself. Kevin is the co-founder of the Love Your Brain Foundation and is a sought-after motivational speaker.
More specific information about daily schedules for each class will be shared with students at class meetings on February 3’s LEAD & Learn Wednesday as well as in upcoming Rocket Reports.
CLASS OF 2021 INFORMATION – Senior Parents:
- GRADUATION ANNOUNCEMENTS: Balfour packets were handed out to seniors last week in homeroom regarding graduation announcements and other 2021 graduation items. If your daughter has not given it to you, please ask her about it today. There are packets available for pick up in the main office if your daughter has not received one. All items need to be ordered online or taken directly to Balfour by February 1. Orders can be placed online at www.kyanabalfour.com or contact them directly at (502)499-7100.Orders will be delivered to AHS around the first week of April. If you have any questions, please contact Stacy Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LUNCH UPDATE FROM FLIK: Please remind your daughter to pre-order her lunch for next week if she plans to have FLIK provide her lunch on her hybrid in-person days. Lunch orders must be submitted by 8:30 a.m. the morning of but can be ordered a week in advance through this link: www.flikisdining.com. Your daughter will receive an email confirmation when the order is placed. If she does not receive a confirmation email, the order was not received by FLIK. For full information about the lunch ordering process, please click on this link: INSTRUCTIONS FOR ACCESSING LUNCH MENU AND ORDERING
- MAIN ENTRÉE LUNCH MENU OPTIONS for January 25-29: Bowtie Pasta with Olive Oil, Alfredo Sauce, or Alfredo Sauce/Roasted Chicken, Steamed Corn, Parmesan Breadsticks
- NEW LUNCH CART SERVICE SUCCESS: The cart service was a big hit with students this week! With the addition of the cart service, students will have the ability to make an immediate purchase. The cart will continue to be stocked with chips, drinks, cookies, and a limited number of premade turkey sandwiches. Purchases will be recorded at the time of the sale and a student’s FLIK account will be charged at the end of the day.
UPCOMING CLUB OPPORTUNITIES: Be sure to ask you daughter to take some time to check out the upcoming club meetings that will continue to be posted regularly on the website calendar linked here: https://www.ahsrockets.org/events/event/