Rocket Report – Friday, December 3, 2021
As mentioned in our Special Message this past week, we will move to a mask optional policy beginning on Monday, December 6. As we make this policy change, we ask our parents to please keep in mind the following:
- Its vitally important for parents to keep their daughter home if she is not feeling well for any reason. This is considered an excused absence and your daughter will have an opportunity to make up any missed work. In the event your daughter is absent, please be sure to report it to our attendance clerk as usual.
- There will still be some events or activities at school that we will require a mask so we ask your daughter to keep a mask on hand in her purse, backpack, or tablet case. We thank you in advance for your understanding when we will need to ask her to mask up.
- As we announced to students today, there is no judgment when it comes to masks at Assumption – this is a personal choice so there should not be any judging or questioning of a person’s decision to mask or not to mask. We respect each other’s choices.
- We will be implementing a Test to Stay strategy in conjunction with Wild Health in order to allow students who suffer an exposure to COVID while at school to avoid quarantine and return to the classroom. More details will be shared next week on our test to stay program.
- We will be reviewing our mask policy on a week by week basis as we continue to monitor COVID in both our school and greater Louisville community. There very well may be times that we will need to return to a mask mandate here at Assumption.
We are grateful to our parents and our students for their continued commitment and cooperation as we continue to navigate the many phases of this pandemic.
HEALTHY AT SCHOOL: To keep our families informed of our COVID cases on campus, we will continue reporting our COVID cases each week via the Rocket Report.
- Since the start of the school year, we have had 38 total COVID cases.
- This week (reporting since 11/29/2021) there were three new COVID cases – all students.
- 8:15 WEDNESDAY START ON DECEMBER 8 – IMMACULATE CONCEPTION MASS: The Assumption community will celebrate Mass at St. Raphael on Wednesday, December 8, which is the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary, a holy day of obligation in the Catholic Church. To accommodate this, we will follow an 8:15 a.m. Wednesday arrival schedule on this day, not the 9:15 schedule we usually use on Wednesdays. Masks will be required for this full school mass.
- PERFORMING AND VISUAL ARTS EVENTS: The following events will take place next week in the theater. Tickets will be given to students participating for limited distribution to family and friends. Due to the spacing and performing nature of these events, masks are required for all in attendance.
- Visual Arts Department Art Show – Tuesday, December 7 at 6:30 p.m.
- Performing Arts Christmas Concert -Thursday, December 9 at 6:30 p.m.
- Humanities II Extravaganza – Friday, December 10 at 6:30 p.m.
- ASSUMPTION PARENT PRAYER: Our parent prayer group continues to meet each Tuesday morning from 8:30 -9:00 a.m. in our new chapel. This group is more than just prayer; it’s community. It’s a chance for parents to pray for their daughters and their daughters’ friends, and time to get to know more Assumption parents. Please park in any open space and enter the school through the main entrance. Please join us for any or all of these opportunities!
OUTSTANDING TUITION AND FEES: As stated in our financial policies, which are contained in the Student-Parent Handbook, a student may not take her semester exams and may not begin the second semester on January 4, 2022, if her account is not current. Your daughter will not be allowed to take her semester exams scheduled for December 13-17, 2021 or begin the second semester if there is an outstanding balance on the account. We want to avoid any embarrassment to your daughter. Please be sure you have addressed any outstanding balances by December 7, 2021. Payment may be made by cash, certified check, or money order. Thank you for your continued cooperation and the many sacrifices you make to send your daughter to Assumption. Questions regarding your account balance should be addressed to the finance director, Lisa Raley, at 271-2520.
EXAM SCHEDULE: First semester exams will be held from Tuesday, December 14, to Friday, December 17. The schedule for exams is listed below. We will begin each day at 9:15 a.m. and dismiss at 12:15 p.m. Before-school supervision will be provided in the cafeteria as usual beginning at 7:15 a.m. each day; however, there will be no after-school supervision in the cafeteria on these days. Please make arrangements for your daughter to be picked up each day after exams by 12:30 p.m. Please note: our building will close at 12:30 p.m. on Wednesday, December 15, for a faculty/staff luncheon. Students who need to take makeup exams will need to return to school on Monday, December 20, at 9:00 a.m. and report to room 204 via the atrium entrance.
Tuesday, December 14
A Block: 9:15 – 10:40
B Block: 10:55 – 12:15 (dismissal)
Wednesday, December 15
C Block: 9:15 – 10:40
D Block: 10:55 – 12:15 (dismissal)
Thursday, December 16
E Block: 9:15 – 10:40
F Block: 10:55 – 12:15 (dismissal)
Friday, December 17
G Block: 9:15 – 10:40
*H Block: 10:55 – 12:15 (dismissal)
*Students who have H block STUDY on their schedule may leave at 10:40 on Friday (after the G block exam period) if they would like. Those who choose to stay will need to report to Room 142 where they will be supervised until dismissal at 12:15 p.m.
ABSENCE DURING EXAMS: A doctor’s note is required to make up any missed exam. Makeup exams will be given on Monday, December 20, at 9:00 a.m. in Room 204; students need to bring their doctor’s notes in advance or bring them with them on December 20 to be eligible to take a makeup exam.
STUDY GROUP OPPORTUNITIES DURING EXAM WEEK: The Achievement Center is inviting all students to attend mid-term study groups during exam week. They will be hosting four days of before and after school study groups in the Media Center for any subject during exam week. Students can form their own study group or come work independently. RSVP is required, so students need to email Mrs. Conway to reserve a table. Study sessions will take place on Monday, December 13, from 3:00 – 5:00 p.m.; Tuesday, December 14, from 12:15 to 2:30 p.m.; Wednesday, December 15, from 7:30-9:00 a.m.; and Thursday, December 16, from 12:15 – 2:30 p.m. Snack bags will be provided. Please encourage your daughters to take advantage of this opportunity if needed.
SECOND SEMESTER SCHEDULES: Your daughter will receive her second semester schedule on Monday, December 6, during LEAD & Learn. Please take a moment to ask your daughter about her schedule and if needed, she can see her dean during her study hall on December 9 or 10. For any levels changes, she should already be in conversation with her teacher and will also need written approval from a parent. These forms are available in the main office. Of course, Judy Fieldhouse (A – K) and Theresa Schuhmann (L – Z) are always available if you have any questions or concerns.
CAREER DAY: Assumption students will be participating in our fifth annual Career Day on Tuesday, December 7. This event will take place during the school day. Students in all grade levels will participate in activities to help them think about careers and college. Freshmen will use our Naviance program to explore careers that match their interests and hear from alumnae speakers from Bellarmine University’s Career Development Center about how the habits they develop in high school and their academic progress have an impact on their future career pursuits. Sophomores and juniors will have the opportunity to learn about several careers including nursing, finance, engineering, event planning, and many others from alumnae who work in those fields. Seniors will be part of an alumnae panel focused on their program of study and career path planning as well as hear from a Centre College representative who will address questions related to major selection, student services, and how to be successful in college. Masks will be required for this school event.
FLIK LUNCH ACCOUNT BALANCES: Please take a moment to review your daughter’s FLIK lunch account balance at www.myschoolbucks.com. You can add money to her account through myschoolbucks.com or bring a check to the school office/cafeteria mailbox. Email notifications have been going out to parents whose daughters currently have a low or negative balance. Please be aware that the notifications will come from either myschoolbucks.com (if you have it set up to automatically notify you of a low balance), or they will come from email@example.com or Victoria.Gavin@compass-usa.com
FINANCIAL AID FORM: The financial aid link for 2022-2023 has been added to the school’s website. The due date is January 31, 2022, and the form must be submitted online to FACTS Grant and Aid Assessment. FINANCIAL AID APPLICATION LINK. As a reminder, you are required to file every year to receive assistance.
LEAD & LEARN UPDATE: During LEAD & Learn time this week, students engaged with each other as they celebrated family birthdays in homeroom and Family Council led them in an activity which allowed students to help to add to the holiday spirit in the cafeteria. Students also met in class meetings and in homeroom this week. During homeroom, they worked with Naviance as part of our direction/advising activities in anticipation of next week’s Alumnae Career Day. Next week, on Monday, sophomore, juniors, and seniors will participate in career day preparation while freshmen hear speeches from students in their homerooms who are running for class officer or Family Council member. Tuesday, all students will take part in targeted activities for their classes on Alumnae Career Day. Thursday and Friday, students will alternate between class meeting and homeroom activities.
ASSUMPTION PARENT ORGANIZATION (APO) NEWS – ROCKET SPECTACULAR SPONSOR OPPORTUNITIES: We are excited for our 41st Annual Rocket Spectacular Benefit Dinner and Auction on Saturday, January 29, 2022. All proceeds benefit the financial needs of our students, and there are many ways you can support this effort! Donations Needed: We are currently collecting donations for our live and silent auctions. In the past, donors have asked if there are any specific items that were needed, or if they could purchase and donate. For this reason, and to simplify the process, we have created a “WISH LIST” on Amazon. Please know that all donations will be graciously accepted. https://bit.ly/AHSWishList22 Any questions, contact Tricia Ferree: firstname.lastname@example.org
HIGH SCHOOL PLACEMENT TEST: On Saturday, December 11, from 9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., we will welcome prospective incoming freshman students to Assumption for the High School Placement Test (HSPT). We are looking forward to meeting our newest students – the Class of 2026!
FAIR TRADE SHOPPING WEEK: The Environmental Concerns Committee is hosting a fair-trade shopping week at Just Creations, 2722 Frankfort Avenue, from December 13 to December 18. The ECC will receive 15% of any sales during that time if you mention at checkout that you are part of the Assumption High School community. Join the ECC as they support a store that not only protects the rights and dignity of workers but also strives for environmental sustainability!
CAMPUS STORE CHRISTMAS HOURS: The Assumption Campus Store is a great place to shop for your favorite Rocket! Stop by during our regular hours, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., or on the dates listed below. We also have an online store with shipping and local pick up available. Please note that all online Christmas orders must be placed by the following dates: Custom – November 29, shipping & in-store pickup – December 15. All orders must be picked up by December 17. Additional Christmas holiday hours will be:
- Saturday, December 11, 8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. (Placement Test)
- Saturday, December 18, 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. (holiday hours)
- Monday, December 20, 4:00 – 8:00 p.m. (holiday hours)