Tonight, we welcome prospective students and their parents to Assumption for Open House. We look forward to sharing every aspect of our unique community with them. Thank you to everyone who helped with our Open House preparations, especially our freshman parents who made cookies for our guests. We ask that you keep our entire community and the future of Assumption in your prayers tonight!
- OPEN HOUSE HOLIDAY: Friday, December 6, is our Open House holiday and school will be closed.
- PERFORMING AND VISUAL ARTS EVENTS: The Winter Concert will be held on Thursday, December 12, at 6:30 p.m. in the theater and will showcase performances of the Guitar II class, Instrumental Ensemble, Handbell Choir, Chamber Choir, and Advanced Choir. Admission is $5 for adults and $3 for students and senior citizens. The Visual Arts Department Art Show will take place on Tuesday, December 10, from 6:30 to 8:00 p.m. in the theater gallery. This event is free and open to anyone wishing to attend. Come join us and celebrate the arts at Assumption.
- PARENT PRAYER: The Parent Prayer group meets each Tuesday morning from 8:00-8:30 a.m. in the chapel at St. Catherine’s Convent, which is right across Tyler Lane from AHS. Just look for the sign! If you are unable to attend but would like them to pray for a particular intention, please email it to our campus minister MARY ANN STEUTERMANN. We hope you find comfort in knowing that we are praying for your intention even if you can’t be present.
INCLEMENT WEATHER: Just a reminder about school closings and delays in the case of inclement weather. Assumption will abide by the decision for all Catholic schools. Announcements regarding closing or delay will be broadcast on the major local news stations, and we will send a SwiftReach alert to all of our families who are registered. Our delayed opening/late arrival is exactly a one-hour delay – school doors will open at 8:15 a.m. and classes will begin at 9:05 a.m. If we have a closing, the day we return to school will be the regularly scheduled day.
DRESS DOWN DAY: Students are invited to “dress down” on Friday, December 13, for a minimum donation of $3 that will go to support relief efforts of the Sisters of Mercy in Haiti, the poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere. Over half of the population lives on less than $2.40 a month. But the experience of that kind of abject poverty has become even worse due to the recent political upheaval there. Protests about the shortage of food, safe drinking water, and fuel plus outrage over inflation and corruption have turned into riots that have closed down roads making it impossible for aid to get through. Many schools have been closed since September because of the danger, and people are dying of starvation. If you would like to support this cause as well, feel free to send in a donation with your daughter. Thank you!
OUTSTANDING TUITION AND FEES: As stated in our financial policies, which are contained in the Student-Parent Handbook, a student may not take her semester exams and may not begin the second semester onJanuary 6, 2020, if her account is not current. Your daughter will not be allowed to take her semester exams scheduled for December 17-20 or begin the second semester if there is an outstanding balance on the account. We want to avoid any embarrassment to your daughter. Please be sure you have addressed any outstanding balances by December 10, 2019. Payment may be made by cash, certified check, or money order. Thank you for your continued cooperation and the many sacrifices you make to send your daughter to Assumption. Questions regarding your account balance should be addressed to the finance director, Lisa Raley, at 271-2520.
EXAM SCHEDULE: First semester exams will be held from Tuesday, December 17, to Friday, December 20. The schedule for exams is listed below. We will dismiss each day at 12:05 p.m. Our building will close at 12:15 p.m. on Wednesday, December 18, for a faculty/staff luncheon. Students who need to take makeup exams will need to return to school on Friday, December 20, at 1:00 p.m. and report to room 208 via the Tyler Lane entrance.
Tuesday, December 17
A Block: 9:05 – 10:30
B Block: 10:45 – 12:05 (dismissal)
Wednesday, December 18
C Block: 9:05 – 10:30
D Block: 10:45 – 12:05 (dismissal)
Thursday, December 19
E Block: 9:05 – 10:30
F Block: 10:45 – 12:05 (dismissal)
Friday, December 20
G Block: 9:05 – 10:30
*H Block: 10:45 – 12:05 (dismissal)
*Students who have H block STUDY on their schedule may leave at 10:30 on Friday (after the G block exam period) if they would like. Those who choose to stay will need to report to Room 201 where they will be supervised until dismissal at 12:05 p.m.
ABSENCE DURING EXAMS: A doctor’s note is required to make up any missed exam. Makeup exams will be given on Friday, December 20, at 1:00 p.m. in Room 208; students need to bring their doctor’s notes in advance or bring them with them on December 20 to be eligible to take a makeup exam. If a student misses her G or H block exam on Friday, December 20, a doctor’s note will be required and Friday makeup exams only will be administered on Monday, December 23 at 9:00 in room 208.
JUNIOR PRIVILEGE DURING EXAMS: As the class with the highest percentage of participation in supporting the Walk for Assumption in October, the junior class won the privilege of coming in late or leaving early for their study block during exams. This means that juniors only do not have to be at school for their study block during exams, although they are certainly welcome to go to their study as usual if they would like to do so. If a junior is going to miss her whole study block that is held first on an exam day, she would need to arrive no later than 10:45 and would report directly to her exam classroom for that block; likewise, a junior who is going to miss her whole study block that is held second on an exam day would just leave school directly from her first block classroom at 10:30 a.m. If a junior would like to come in midway through her first block study or leave midway through her second block study, she may do so. Upon arrival, the junior is to report directly to study and will sign in with the study coordinator rather than reporting to the attendance office as would usually be done. A junior leaving early from second block study will sign out with the study coordinator and leave directly from study rather than reporting to the attendance office as usual. Congratulations to our juniors for winning this privilege!
STUDY GROUP OPPORTUNITIES DURING EXAM WEEK: All students have been invited by Mrs. Pam Conway and Mr. Lou Armstrong in the Achievement Center to form study groups during exam week. The Achievement Center is hosting four days of before- and after-school study groups in the Media Center for any subject during exam week. Students have been asked to form a study group or come independently. RSVP via Mrs. Conway’s email in order to reserve a table. Study sessions will take place on Monday, December 16, from 3:00 – 5:00 p.m.; Tuesday, December 17, from 12:05 to 2:05 p.m.; Wednesday, December 18, from 7:30-9:00 a.m.; and Thursday, December 19, from 12:05 – 2:05 p.m. Light refreshments will be served. Please encourage your daughters to take advantage of this opportunity if needed.
FAIR TRADE SHOPPING NIGHT: The Environmental Concerns Committee is hosting a fair trade shopping night at Just Creations, 2722 Frankfort Avenue, on Friday, December 6, from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. The ECC will receive 15% of any sales during that time. Join the ECC as they support a store that not only protects the rights and dignity of workers but also strives for environmental sustainability!
HIGH SCHOOL PLACEMENT TEST: On Saturday, December 14, from 9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., we will welcome prospective incoming freshman students to Assumption for the High School Placement Test (HSPT). We are looking forward to meeting our newest students – the Class of 2024!
ALUMNAE MASS: All AHS graduates are invited to celebrate the Advent and Christmas seasons by joining the Community of Assumption for our Alumnae Mass on Tuesday, December 17, at 7 p.m. at St. Raphael Catholic Church. Family and friends of alumnae are also welcome to attend. To help with planning, we ask that attendees please RSVP before Tuesday, December 10, by clicking here.
ROCKET PARENT NETWORK (RPN) NEWS: As e-cigarettes remain in the headlines, the RPN would like to share resources for parents to help kids stop vaping. The American Lung Association updated their “Resources” to include more information on vaping. Click on “The Vape Talk” link for a downloadable conversation guide.
ASSUMPTION PARENT ORGANIZATION (APO) NEWS:
Rocket Spectacular Benefit Dinner and Auction 2020 “ROARING TWENTIES”.
- RESERVATIONS – It’s not too early to start making plans to attend this year’s Rocket Spectacular Benefit Dinner and Auction. You’ll enjoy a great gourmet dinner catered by the Bristol, live and silent auctions, and games of chance. In addition, you’ll witness the drawing of the Rocket Raffle. Tickets are $125.00 per person. Come and have a great night of fun. You can purchase tickets online today or purchase them by mail. In late December, an invite will be coming your way in the mail. https://www.ahsrockets.org/support-ahs/rocket-spectacular/
- DONATIONS – Do you have a connection to a business? We need help in building a great selection of items for our guests to bid on in our live and silent auctions. Contact Colleen Nawab at email@example.com or Shelly Tomaszewski at firstname.lastname@example.org
CAMPUS STORE CHRISTMAS HOURS: The Assumption Campus Store is a great place to shop for your favorite Rocket! Stop by during our regular hours – Monday through Thursday from 1:00 – 4:00 p.m. and Fridays from 1:00 – 3:30 p.m. – or by appointment, or during our holiday hours:
- December 5, 6:00 p.m. (Open House)
- December 14, 8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. (Placement Test)
- December 15, 5:00 – 8:00 p.m. (Basketball game)
- December 18, 5:30 – 8:30 p.m. (Holiday hours)
- December 22, 1:30 – 4:30 p.m. (Holiday hours)