» Tips for Staying Healthy During Flu Season
Tips for Staying Healthy During Flu Season
According to the Centers for Disease Control, this year's flu season is at epidemic levels. Assumption High School’s nurse Laura Burnam suggests these nine tips to stay healthy and protect yourself against the flu.
1) Eat a diet full of fruits and vegetables. The essential vitamins such as vitamin C can help boost your immune system.
2) Wash your hands frequently. Don’t just run water over your hands but scrub them with soap for 20 seconds. Make sure you clean well under your nails too. You can find hand sanitizer in the cafeteria, health room, and main foyer.
3) Cough in the bend of your arm, not in your hands. If you touch your eyes, nose, or mouth, please wash your hands or use hand sanitizer.
4) Exercise. Help boost your immunity and stay well through exercise.
5) Please do not share food and drinks. Sharing food and drinks puts you at risk of catching a virus, strep, and mono.
6) Stay hydrated. Drink, Drink, Drink.
7) Watch your symptoms. Symptoms of the flu: chills, fever, muscle aches, fatigue and exhaustion. Gargling salt water can help a sore throat, and eating chicken noodle soup and drinking hot tea can help with congestion.
8) Please do not come to school with a temperature over 100. We do not want to expose other students with such close contact.
9) Have you received a flu vaccine? Did you know it’s a myth that the flu vaccine can cause the flu?